Why Choose Our Grass Fed Beef?
We're proud of our grass-fed beef – it is better for you and better for our environment. Here are 12 reasons our grass-fed beef is better.
- No antibiotics. Conventional farmers often feed beef cattle daily antibiotics, which slightly improves their growth rate. The World Health Organization has warned that feeding cattle (or other meat animals) antibiotics may pose a risk to human health, due to the increased risk of ingesting antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Our cattle are never fed any antibiotics.
- No growth hormones. Many farmers inject their cattle with growth hormones (like athletes using steroids) to increase their growth. A scientific review performed by the European Union’s Scientific Committee on Veterinary Measures Relating to Public Health found that meat raised using growth hormones poses several potential serious threats to human health. Our cattle are raised the natural way - without injecting growth hormones.
- Chemical-free pasture. Our cattle graze on grass that is grown without herbicides, pesticides or chemical fertilizers. Pesticides and other agricultural chemicals have negative effects on our environment and human health. (The EPA lists agricultural chemicals as the #1 water pollutant, and a USGS survey found that every single one of the 1,000+ streams they tested were polluted.) We're proud to grow our pasture the natural, chemical-free way.
- Lower in fat. Nutritional data published in the Journal of Animal Science shows that grass-fed beef has about ¼ the fat content, when compared to feedlot raised beef. Lower fat content also means reduced calories.
- 2-4x more Omega-3's. Omega 3 fatty acids offer multiple health benefits, including being great for your heart.
- Significantly more of fatty acid CLA (conjugated linoleic acid). Scientific research suggests that the CLA (a healthy fatty acid) in grass-fed beef may increase your likelihood of a long, healthy life.
- 4x the Vitamin E. Nutritional data from Colorado State University shows that grass-fed beef has over 4x the vitamin E than feedlot beef does.
- Chemical-free pasture. Agricultural chemicals are responsible for polluting our streams, killing an estimated 72 million birds each year, and creating dead zones in the ocean. We're proud to raise our beef on 100% chemical-free pasture.
- Uses less fossil fuels. Unlike contained feedlot operations, our sustainable farm uses minimal non-sustainable energy. Feedlot operations are inefficient, using heavy equipment to till, grow and harvest feed, process and ship the food, ship the cattle, etc. We do things the natural way.
- A sustainable mini eco-system. Our farm is natural and largely self-sustaining. On pasture, cattle naturally fertilize and harvest their own food. Compared to grain fields, pastures minimize erosion.
- Healthier, happier animals. Grazing on pasture is the natural and healthy way to raise cattle, not locked up in a tiny pen in a feedlot.
- Support a small farmer. Farmer Steve owns and runs our farm, Black Diamond Ranch. Click here to learn more about our farm.